Blepharitis is the medical term for inflammation of the margins of the eyelids. It usually affects both eyes.
- Blepharitis may be due to a combination of one or more of the following:
- A disorder of the Meibomian glands at the edge of the eyelid.
- A build up of crusts around the eyelashes
- The action of the body’s own bacteria on this debris
- Skin disorders such as dandruff of the scalp
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
Blepharitis may cause one or more of the following:
- Persistent irritation or burning sensation
- Itchiness around the eye.
- Sensations of grit around the eye
- Scales on the eyelid
- Redness and swelling of the eyelid margins
- Crusting of the eyelids, especially in the morning
- Redness of the eye
- Eyelid cysts/styes
- Loss of eyelashes
- Swollen eyelids
GOOD EYELID HYGIENE FOR HAPPY EYES
Blepharitis tends to recur and rarely disappears completely, so a regular eye hygiene routine is essential
Daily eyelid care helps prevent build-up of oils and crusted matter around the eyelids and lashes.
Clean your eyelids every day, even if you are not experiencing any symptoms. Consider it part of your daily routine, like showering or brushing your teeth.